Sunday, May 5, 2013

Dendrobium harveyanum

This is another one of my Dendrobiums that flowered for the first time in 2012 - again, it needed a dry winter "rest" period to trigger the flowering. After seeing the crazy fringed flower edges of Dendrobium harveyanum in flower, I knew I had to have one, which was one of my earlier acquisitions. The flowers were worth the wait, I think you'll agree.

Dendrobium harveyanum
3 October 2012
Dendrobium harveyanum
Dendrobium harveyanum
showing why people wash the leaves of their orchids
prior to shows and serious photo-sessions!
Dendrobium harveyanum
Dendrobium harveyanum
detail of flower edge, 2:1 macro
Dendrobium harveyanum
detail of flower lip, 2:1 macro

Take a moment to click on some of the photos to see the detail full screen.

For more information on this species, refer to the IOSPE page.

NB I should point out that several of these shots are quite underexposed; the colour is actually more yellow than orange.