Sunday, May 5, 2013

Dendrobium harveyanum

This is another one of my Dendrobiums that flowered for the first time in 2012 - again, it needed a dry winter "rest" period to trigger the flowering. After seeing the crazy fringed flower edges of Dendrobium harveyanum in flower, I knew I had to have one, which was one of my earlier acquisitions. The flowers were worth the wait, I think you'll agree.

Dendrobium harveyanum
3 October 2012
Dendrobium harveyanum
Dendrobium harveyanum
showing why people wash the leaves of their orchids
prior to shows and serious photo-sessions!
Dendrobium harveyanum
Dendrobium harveyanum
detail of flower edge, 2:1 macro
Dendrobium harveyanum
detail of flower lip, 2:1 macro

Take a moment to click on some of the photos to see the detail full screen.

For more information on this species, refer to the IOSPE page.

NB I should point out that several of these shots are quite underexposed; the colour is actually more yellow than orange. 

2 comments:

  1. Gorgeous flowers and beautiful photos, James. What a striking species. Very well grown, too. I left a couple of notes for you re D. cuthbertsonii on my blog post, but the trick to D. cuthbertsonii is very high light. It is much more temperature tolerant when given very high light. I learned that from someone in Socal who grows it in the very top of his greenhouse and does well with it.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Ron - I had a hunt around on your blog for other cuthbertsonii posts after commenting on that one and found one where you'd mentioned the high light requirement for temperature tolerance. Thanks for stopping by and letting me know, and for the follow up comment on your post! http://orchidsinbloom-ron.blogspot.com/2013/05/dendrobium-cuthbertsonii-bicolor.html

      This is quite a small species (although it might be "big" in your collection!), so it's possibly one you could consider. :)

      Thanks for stopping by and commenting! Maybe one day I'll find a nice cuthbertsonii - I saw one in a fellow OS member's greenhouse in Port Elizabeth, it seemed to be doing OK next to his masdevallias. There's always the WOC in South Africa next year, I imagine it will be full of vendors to bring interesting things...!

      Delete